Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Wildflower Study

I took my camera with me when I went for a walk this evening after dinner. I didn't know if I would see anything I would want to photograph, but I stuck my little camera in my pocket just in case. I'm lucky to have a park adjacent to my neighborhood, complete with walking/biking trails, lots of playground equipment and a picnic shelter by a small lake. In a section of the park, next to a stand of trees, in a naturally low area, the parks people placed a native wildflower/prairie planting. At first glance it might just look like a lot of tall "weeds". And for the most part, other park goers ignore the tall grasses, hurrying past while listening to music, talking with friends or family and walking their dogs. But after getting up close and looking among the tall grasses I found any amazing variety of wildflowers! I was so glad I had my camera.

There are lots of cattails, wild asters and goldenrod.

And lots of vibrant colors and interesting spikey seed pods hiding among the tall grasses.

I was pleasantly surprised at all the wonderful native plants. I guess we all need to remember to try to take a little extra time to appreciate the beauty all around us!

3 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

beautiful! beautiful! I'm glad you had your camera!

Ruth said...

Wow! I'm glad I took time to look at this blog. It was like a breath of fresh air. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and those beautiful pictures!

Run Lori Run said...

You have all this so close to you- I'm jealous!