Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers

Monday, September 14, 2009

My Work Space

Here is a "behind the scenes" look at my work space. I don’t actually have a real studio space to work in. My husband and I both work out of our home, (he has a small home design and construction business) so we have to try to stay organized in order to not have our work take over the house! We do have one room set aside as an office, with desks, bookshelves, computer space, files etc. And I have a small table set up in a bedroom with my sewing machine. It's right by the window so I have a nice view of the backyard.

This small walk-in closet is dedicated to my craft supplies. This is my latest stash of wool sweaters, felted and stacked by color, waiting to be cut up and turned into something new. There are shelves of other fabrics and small drawers filled with zippers, thread, beads and ribbon.

A couple of days a week I take over our antique dining room table to cut out new designs for my handbags, plush animals and accessories.

I’ve found it helps me stay organized and keep track of the proper supplies for each project if I spend a day or two a week just cutting out wool and lining fabric, and getting all my pieces pressed and ready to sew.


I would love to have a studio space or room to myself, to be able to spread out my sewing and come and go as I please. But having a smaller space forces me to be more organized and much less messy! And for me that is a good thing.

It's fun to have a look into other crafter's work spaces! Folkartbykerry shares creative spaces of other artists on her blog Etsy Studios.

13 comments:

Beedeebabee said...

What a nice post! I loved peeking into your cozy sewing space!...and having a sweet face to connect to your name is nice too! Paulette =D

Catherine said...

Thanks for sharing your workspace. Really interesting to see how other people work. One day I will share mine on my blog but I might have to have a bit of clean up first!

Anonymous said...

I've got one toe into the felting world (just learning about it now) and a large pile of sweaters accumulating on our dining room sideboard!

I would love my own space, free of husbands and boys! LOL!

But it will have to wait for now...

I appreciate the tip of cutting and pressing and organizing pieces for projects!

alli/hooray said...

It takes a lot of effort to stay organized, especially when working from home! We just moved and I finally have a room for my studio, and it is such a relief. I definitely know what you mean when you say work can easily take over the house!

Vanessa @ See Vanessa Craft said...

Great post! I love peeking into craft studios!

lori vliegen said...

your work space is wonderful....i admire how organized you are, and i just love seeing all of those fabulous felt goodies just waiting to be sewn!! :)

audreyscountrycrafts said...

Great post! it's so much fun seeing where other people create!

BeadedTail said...

I enjoyed your post and seeing your workspace and you too!

Anonymous said...

Great space - and I am interested in trying out felting. I am having a difficult time finding 100% wool sweaters at second hand stores.

Cheryl Patterson said...

Sometimes I'll go in a thrift shop and find a lot of wool sweaters, and sometimes I don't find any. I never find as many when the weather is warm as I do in the winter. Kepp looking, I'm sure you'll find some!

Splendid Little Stars said...

How fun to see your work spaces, colorful supplies, and yourself!

Shell Mitchell said...

thanks for sharing! I am so jealous... a whole closet?!?! just for your crafts storage - fabulous. I can only dream... LOL

storybeader said...

fun to see what you have on your plate.... or rather, table! {:-Deb