Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers

Monday, June 10, 2013

Pond Progress - Finally We Have a Pond!

We made great progress this weekend on our new backyard koi pond project. 
The ground has dried out from last week's rain and we were able to finish the side walls. 
Next we unfolded and fit the protective underlament for the pond liner.

 Then it was time for the big moment, actually laying in the pond liner.
It is very heavy, I believe the shipping box said 70 lbs. My husband and I were able to lay the folded liner into the pond and then he climbed in to unfold it. It's a thick, rubber-like material and since it's black, it got hot to the touch very quickly.
 The next big thing was to get one of the lotus plants out of our smaller koi pond and move it to the new pond.

So our first water plant is in place and we've added enough water to cover the lotus plant.
Still quite a bit to do:
build the filter system
run an electrical line from the house out to the pond to power the filter system
collect rocks to finish the edge of the pond
collect some native water lilies to go in the pond
Then, of course, move the fish from the smaller pond to their new home. . . I think they'll love it!

1 comment:

Beedeebabee said...

Wow, this is going to be amazing when it's done! It's such a large pond...I love it! I can't wait to see it all done. You guys are really doing a beautiful job! xo